Monday, March 24, 2014

LUSH Caca Brun Henna Hair Color Tutorial

So after my first Henna review I received a lot of questions about it, mostly asking for just a little bit more of an in-depth description than what I offered up the first time around. So, instead of just writing another review to compliment my last one I'm giving you a whole step-by-step on the henna process along with pictures so I don't have to try to describe what this stuff looks like throughout the dye job. I did my second Henna dye to my hair last night ( My first time doing it was in November), here's my method & how it turned out :

1. Choose Your Henna
Once again, This is CACA BRUN. Lush henna also comes in CACA NOIR (black) and CACA ROGUE (red) & CACA MARRON (chestnut). The brick actually comes with 6 squares, but as I said before this is my second time using the henna so I only have 4 squares left.

2. Open Henna Instructions
The wrapped pictured above opens up and all of your instructions along with needed materials are listed. There are a few things on the material list that I think are unnecessary, so I'm only going to list the things you ABSOLUTELY NEED:
*Rubber Gloves *Double Boiler  *Saucepan *Coloring Brush *Hair clip(s) * Towels 
It also lists newspapers to cover the floor.... I guess if you think this little project is going to turn into a total trainwreck you might want to cover your floor with something. I never needed anything, but I've always had somebody do this to my hair for me. I guess if you're brave enough to try this alone I'll suggest the newspapers.


3. Prepare Double Boiler and Saucepan
So the instructions on the henna wrapper say you only need a double boiler OR a small saucepan inside of a larger saucepan, but I think my way is easier. Here I have a double boiler, which is where I will put my two squares of henna. I also have a saucepan next to the boiler, which has extra water I will pour into the double boiler little by little until the henna is the consistency I want it. 

4. Place Henna Into the Double Boiler
Break Two squares off of your brick and put them into the double boiler. If you have really long, thick hair you might want to go with three. I have hair that goes down to the middle of my back, and two squares coat all of my hair.
Let the henna squares sit in the double boiler for a couple minutes just to soften, NOT to melt.

5. Add Boiling Water On Top Of Henna
Pour the boiling water from your saucepan into your double boiler (on the henna). Add it in a little at a time and mix as you add it. When the consistency of your henna is similar to that of brownie batter its ready to be applied to your hair.

6. Apply Henna Into Hair
This is when you'll realize why I'm really stressing the use of rubber gloves! This part can get pretty messy, especially if  you're doing it yourself (you're insane). You can apply this on just using your hands, or the coloring brush (I think a mix of both works best). Either way, you need to separate your hair into layers, start from the bottom & work your way up, clipping up the parts you haven't reached yet.
When finished, your hair should be completely covered. Immediately after you finish applying, clip it up to make it stay in place while you wait. If you want a red tone to your new color: tightly cover your hair with saran wrap or a plastic bag.


7. Leave On At Least 2 Hours
Yeah I know, Is a LONG time. But hello, its natural dye...it takes time! I'd sit 12 hours with this in my hair before I ever used chemical dye. The package actually says 1-2 hours, so you can get away with one but I always go for 2 hr minimum. After a little while your Henna will start to harden, and I can't speak for any of the other colors but the Caca Brun looks green when it's hardened... GREEEEN. But the brick looks green when you buy it so I guess Its not surprising. 
If you compare the above pictures to the ones in step 6 you can see how my hair in these shows the signs of the henna hardening. 

8. Rinse Out Dye
Sorry, No picture for this one :). When you get in the shower start rinsing out the henna with warm water ( I usually use hot but warm will work too). Tip your head back so you don't get it in your eyes. After you have rinsed some of it out grab some shampoo and wash your hair normally. This will help get the remaining parts of the dye out. You may have to wash & rinse twice. Once the dye is all out condition your hair as usual. 

I love my Results from using Caca Brun. I let my hair air dry naturally & brushed it before I took the after picture. i had done the same thing in my before picture, and as you can see my hair is A LOT less frizzy after Henna. Henna doubles as a moisturizing treatment, there is a very noticeable difference in the texture of your hair once it dries, its extremely hydrated and healthy looking.


Before
After

This picture makes my hair look a little more red than it actually is. It's a really nice chocolate brown, when the sun hits I get a hint of deep red.  I absolutely love the color I get, I get much better results from this than chemical dyes & my hair comes out healthier too.

All Pictures in this post are my personal photos from my Instagram account. Ig name: @_jessakay

12 comments:

  1. I know this is an oldish post but... thanks for writing it! I have used chemical die 3 times this year... I'm 30 but let's call it pier pressure. Anyway, I don't think I want to do it anymore. My hair is looking dull and it's also really expensive.
    I've been looking at many tutorials for Lush's henna... and I have to say your before-after pictures are what I needed to see. Your hair looks sooooo healthy!
    I'll go to Lush later today and will die my hair tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much! I really appreciate the feedback! This is an old post, but it actually has a higher view count than any of my other posts! I hope you like the henna! And yeah the before/after pictures were a must- I didn't get a drastic color change, and most people wont if they have dark hair already, but it really is sooo good for your hair. I also recommend r&b and the jasmine henna fluff-eaze if your hair is suffering! Good luck & thanks again for the comment!

      Delete
  2. I know this is an oldish post but... thanks for writing it! I have used chemical die 3 times this year... I'm 30 but let's call it pier pressure. Anyway, I don't think I want to do it anymore. My hair is looking dull and it's also really expensive.
    I've been looking at many tutorials for Lush's henna... and I have to say your before-after pictures are what I needed to see. Your hair looks sooooo healthy!
    I'll go to Lush later today and will die my hair tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
    Henna Hair Dye

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting dialogue is price comment. I feel that it is best to write more on this matter, it may not be a taboo topic however usually individuals are not enough to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers. pixbim colorize photos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog and absolutely outstanding. You can do something much better but i still say this perfect.Keep trying for the best. korean skincare wholesale suppliers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really I enjoy your site with effective and useful information. It is included very nice post with a lot of our resources.thanks for share. i enjoy this post. best cbd bath bomb recipe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the tips for dyeing the hair..I've come to know very first time henna preparation method by mixing boiling water.. I love trying different looks for myself..I hope this method works for me fine www.jimyusa.com This article is really helpful for those who want to dye their hair by using organic products.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How To Discuss is a Q&A platform that empowers people to share and grow the world's knowledge. People use How to Discuss to ask questions on any subject. how many stamps in a book

    ReplyDelete
  8. Basically, any attempt to address a skin care issue (be it oily, dry, or even itchy skin) should begin with a close look at diet. Med Spa Los Angeles

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent effort to make this blog more wonderful and attractive. Botox Tartu

    ReplyDelete

Pageviews